Monday 23 June 2008

Odd shots Monday: the baobab tree



Antoine St-Exupery's The Little Prince was afraid of baobab trees growing out of control on his planet. He knew they had to be trimmed regularly, otherwise they would choke the atmosphere, and there wouldn't be enough oxygen for his own survival. I found one in my garden the other day. It looked grotesque, with its straggly roots and thick torso, like a witch in disguise, infested with black rot. The leaves that were coming out of the trunk were gasping for air (so I cut them off and used them in a bean soup).

Does anyone want to hazard a guess as to what this actually is?

5 comments:

  1. Dear Maria,
    My guess is its either celery or parsley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like a tree doing yoga!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven´t the faintest idea, but it sure looks weird to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fennel. Or artichoke. Or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. selino paidia....apla,selino

    ReplyDelete