Tuesday 13 May 2008

The Greek pater


The priest was walking along a busy road when I spotted him. Greek priests never remove their garb in public, not even retired ones. I wonder how they feel in the midday heat with so much clothing - maybe they just don't go out at that time of day.

In New Zealand, I used to attend the Greek Orthodox Church of Wellington, where the main service would start at 10am, just so everyone could have a little sleep in before they got up and went to church. In Greece, church services have finished by 10:30am. Given the priest's clothing, it is little wonder. Hence, not many people go to church on a regular basis, just turning up to memorial services and special occasions.

1 comment:

  1. I like this photo as it shows a sight I have never really seen in my lifetime.

    ReplyDelete